Saturday, August 23, 2008

Fun with Chalk Board Paint


About a month ago I bought some sidewalk chalk in the dollar store I thought would make for a christmas gift for the kids. I decieded to break it out early as sidewalk chalk probably would get more use when its nice outside, and the entire family has had fun with the chalk and our driveway. A particular male in our family was inappropriate with the chalk (given theres just one boy you can figure out who it was), and drew some not so nice things. Boys will be boys I guess. Anyways, its been a lot of fun, the kids seem to like it, so we are braving up and going to possibly allow it inside (shudder) because we are making the kids table chalk friendly.

In my garage sorting out mission, I discovered Dave had bought chalkboard paint a couple years ago with some sort of project in mind I guess. I saw a cute article in a parenting magazine where someone taped off the sides of the kids table and put the paint in the center then used another color to sorta frame the outside of it. So thats what I am working on. The 2nd coat of chalk board paint is drying now this morning. I woke up super early before everyone, and just decieded to do the extra coat. I don't even know if your supposed to do 2 coats but hey, its going to have 2 coats of that crap now.

The table is this little white table and chair set the inlaws got the kids for Christmas. I plan on "framing" the chalk board area in some sort of bright color. Not sure what, as I am going to try to use some left over paint we have in the garage from all our other household projects over the years, and I want to paint the chairs, and legs of the table too some sort of crazy color.

Most certainly this table will move upstairs to the playroom rather then the living room when done.


Photobucket

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I used chalkboard paint on hard boiled eggs this past Easter. It was sooo fun to draw on them. Next year I'm going to try it on wooden eggs so I can just keep them year after year...

Anonymous said...

That's a cute idea. How much chalk dust will they make on the table though? You might not want that inside...