Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Job fun

I really do not like to complain on my blog about work. There is that fear that the CEO will come across it and read something they do not like and then fire me. Hey it could happen I guess. I am very fortunate to have a good job, I love the majority of my coworkers, and I like the flexibility. I like that I don't have to work ungodly hours, and still have a life. When I worked at Dean and Don's 12+ hours a day it was nice when the overtime was factored in, but its just not worth it to me to bust my butt and not be able to enjoy life. I never want to live a lifestyle in which I have to work a gazillion hours just to be able to afford it, if that makes any sense. I rather be at home with my family. Now grant it I would love to be a stay at home mom, but since we can't afford swing that with all these kids, I am happy with this balance of working partime. I still get to be home often with the kids, and I still get to try to make a difference at work, and I like going to my job and feel comfortable enough to think of some my coworkers as good friends. In fact I wish many of them lived near me so we could hang out together outside of work.

So I love my job that is clear, I am so glad I came back to it, as last year I took another job doing the same thing for another company for a heck of a lot more pay that was closer to home, but the grass isn't always greener and money isn't worth it sometimes, so I went back and I wont go anywhere until I am forced out or life throws me a curve ball.

But seriously, I need to vent. My job is to help people. That is what social workers do. I try really hard to get people everything they are entitled to and need. I think I do a good job with getting the job done. But I am sick and tired of busting my butt to help people when they don't make any effort to help themselves. Meaning if I need your proof of income for a grant, and it takes you three months to get it to me, don't complain to me about not having what you need in timely manner. I am also sick and tired of charting every tiny detail and then have to answer a staff members question about something when its in the chart. Read my charting damit, the answers are there. I admit I need to work on being more sympathetic, and compassionate, but its hard for me to be like that if someone isn't going to meet me halfway and make an effort too. I don't have a magic money box in my office filled all the money people need, or the medications they can't afford, but damit I promise I will get it for you if there is a way, or funding out there.

But I love my job, I swear to you I do.

Photobucket

No comments: