Saturday, September 27, 2008

Preschool Anxiety??

So the past two times Laura has gone to school she's had some issues in the morning... Last friday Dave took her as I was still in the hospital. They went in just fine, they got to the class room, she lost her mind and started crying. Apparently though she stopped after he left and did just fine.

So yesterday we wake her up, and right away shes in a horrible mood as she sees we are trying to put "real" shoes on her instead of letting her find some flip flops, so she knows she is headed to school... She calms down enough to eat some breakfast, but when we get in the car to leave she starts getting uptight again. Dave deciedes he will take her in while I wait in the car with the others so I don't get injured by a temper tantrum. His attempts failed though... he took her in while she screamed and cried, they went and washed hands, and then she bolted... she actually tried to run out of the building... the principle apparently watched this display, and shouted out to Dave "she's getting away" while Laura tried to make her escape. Gee principle lady, thanks for your support and help! She probably has made a mental note that our kid is a monster. So then when Dave catches her at the front doors banging to get out, she pulls the mommy card, by saying she wants me. Dave come outside with her a motions for me, so we switch, and he gets to go back to the car with the other two, and I get to deal with Laura... Thanks Dave!

We go back into the building, and we do the handwashing thing again and I try to clean off her face which is covered in tears. I talk her into walking to class and she calms down some. Of course soon as we turn the corner we hear other kids crying, so Laura starts up again. As we get to her classroom her teacher starts to welcome her, and Laura tries to bolt again. Literally the kid was trying to crawl away, while myself and the teacher try a tackle block move lol. The teacher takes her into the classroom screaming while I leave and end up crying...

So I don't know what this is all about. It was her 2nd day of going the entire time, so I would think by now the jitters would be gone. Plus its preschool! This is supposed to be fun, not a punishment! While going back to the car sniffling, another parent was dealing with the same thing, so seeing another struggling parent with a kid flipping out made me feel better as horrible as that sounds...


Dave and I decieded to spend the morning out, as we had been in the house all day the day before because of the crappy weather. We kept looking at our cell phones expecting a call from the school to get our demon, but the call never came. We enjoyed a trip to Target to browse around, had breakfast, and fed the ducks at the river. Rachel loved feeding the ducks but didn't appreciate the ducks trying to get the food right out of her hand. Poor thing thought they were going to bite her.

So upon pick up of the demon at preschool several other parents who have kids in her class were saying how their kids are getting upset with drop offs too, so I guess Laura's behavior is somewhat normal, and hopefully will get better in time. When I got her from her classroom her teacher reassured me that within a minute Laura was fine, and played well the rest of the day...She did some finger painting today, and drew a picture with markers. Laura also said she had fun, so I guess we will just keep taking her and pray that this gets better....

Photobucket

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Jack's having some issues with drop offs too-don't worry about it, I'm sure it'll get better!!! AND, I can totally relate to the whole shoe thing. Jack always wears his Crocs when we're just going out on errands or to play, etc. So, when he sees his big ol' white tennies come out he knows it's time for school! They're smart lil' boogers!

Anonymous said...

It gets better trust me!