Sunday, September 21, 2008

Emily's Birth Story






Wednesday the 17th we were supposed to be at the hospital by 8:15am, but that morning around 7am the hospital called asking if we could come on in as my doc had an opening and could do the c-section earlier. We left right away, and we live pretty close to the hospital. However, when we got there we saw my doc leaving, but figured he was going to go get ready or something, but he was actually heading to the other hospital to deliver a baby of someone who had gone into labor. Of course they wouldn't tell us this until about an hour later. I felt bad as my sister Becky was coming to take pics, and she was going to head into work first, but came earlier thinking we were having the baby earlier. My parents also came on over with the kids, as I really wanted them to have the kids there to see the baby when she came to the nursery... SO we all hung out and waited until about 11am before they came and got me.

I was getting nervous waiting, but I was doing better then when I had Rachel. While waiting with Rachel I litterally hid under the sheets. This time I didn't start freaking until I got in the operating room. When my nurse came to get me to take me down they let me walk the entire way, and I actually thought we were first all going to the 2nd floor to my room first, and then they would take me, but we went right to the operating room, and I was new it was business time. I got so nervous and from the time I sat up on the table to get the epideral I just closed my eyes and started praying, and got really scared. I didn't want to see any tools, or see all the people, and I was scared Mr. Epideral man was going to have trouble. With Rachel Mr. Epideral man was this little asian man who stuck me 3-4 times before getting it in right, and tried to say I had sculyosis or however you spell it, which is a total lie, he just sucked. That experience was not fun, and I was nervous Mr. Asian Epideral man was coming to torture me again. Instead I had Mr. Country Accent Epieral man, who did everything, quick, pretty painless, and had no problems at all, and immediatly I went numb fast.

They brought Dave in after they got started a bit, and by then I was shaking really really bad. I still was not opening my eyes, and I was freaking Dave out a bit with my shaking. I had had this before with the others but the shaking this time was really crazy, complete with teeth chattering. They told Dave it was from all the cold fluids running through me, and was all normal, but later they discovered someone spilt a IV bag all over me, so that probably was causing some extra coldness...Dave tried to keep me calm by talking to me, and I just laid with my eyes closed saying her name over and over again out loud. I was feeling pain free, and Dave and I both felt like it was taking a long time to get her out, and apparently with each C-section it takes a bit longer with the scar tissue. When they got her out I heard her cries right away, and as soon as I heard her cry, I started bawling. They took her over the curtain right away for us to see her while she was still naked. This was different from before, as usually they would wrap the babies up in blankets and hats before I could see her, so I thought it was neat to see her right away naked still. Then they wrapped her up, and I got to see her once more before they had Dave leave with her to take to the nursery. She was born at 11:43 That's when my pain began to sit in.
They do so much shoving around on your stomach and pushing, and I never really felt much more then pressure before with the other two sections, but I had down right pain, and then got naseated. They gave me some stuff in the IV for the nasea, and then they started giving me a bunch of plain shots just in my shoulder. I still don't know what that was all about, but I just remember hurting and feeling every shove and push. They did say it was taking a little longer for my bleeding to stop, so maybe it was to help that. Once I got into recovery the nurse did a numbness test on me, and I think now my epideral didn't go up far enough or something as she was surprised of what I could feel on my stomach when she was testing me, and asked if I had discomfort during the procedure... uh yeah... couldn't you tell from my moaning and groaning?? In recovery they finally got me to stop shaking with all the warm blankets, and doped me up pretty good with IV drug meds. By the time I got out of recovery which was like 2:00pm, my sister, parents, and Dave's mom had left. My parents had to take the kids home for their naps they were looonnng over due for, and my sister was going to try to get into work for a bit, and I think Dave's mom had come during lunch break or something. My "other" sister showed up surprisingly as well and got to see her in the nursery. So when I got to my room I was sad at first everyone was gone, but it was nice to just relax with Dave and take everything in. Since I took so long in recovery, I didn't have to wait very long to see the baby when I got to my room, and finally hold her. I literally sat in bed and cried holding her for the longest time, just excited to finally meet her, and love on her. It's crazy how quickly you bond with your kids. I never planned on having three kids, much less three kids as close in age as mine, but I would not take it back for the world.

I stayed in the hospital until Saturday, and finally got out of there a little after 11am. I was up and dressed and ready to get out of there by 8 lol. I liked all my nurses except my last one of course, as she was so freaking slow and we were all about just getting out of there. We decieded instead of going home right away, to go see my grandparents, as they were not able to come see me in the hospital as all the walking is a bit much for them. My parents were actually over there visiting with our other two kids so we thought it would be nice to go then. We made a quick visit, and they were happy we brought her to see them. The kids were excited to see us as well outside of the hospital lol. Emily did great riding in the car, so we grabbed lunch on the way home as well.

The first day home went good. I was able to take a nap, and Dave has been working had to redeem himself from when we came home with Rachel. The house was in much better shape this time, and he's worked hard to make sure I don't have to do much crazy activity. I have to say its been easier this time around, I guess going from 1 to 2 is harder then going from 2 to 3. Laura has a cold, so shes been a little cranky from that, but both kids are doing fine jealousy wise. My parents have been a ton of help with watching the girls while I was in the hospital, and making sure they got plenty of attention. Dave's mom and dad brought us dinner for our first night home, and my parents are doing a lunch for us tomorrow, so thats been really nice. The other sister also came over yesterday which was shocking, as before she didn't come see the baby for months, and she was really nice yesterday, so maybe there is hope for us. Becky, and I seem to be doing better, as I am trying to just forget about the things she said, but shes still being a little stand offish. She went out of town so we have not seen her since Thursday. She always was a big help with bringing us food in the past, and I don't think we will be reaping those benefits this time. I know shes been through a lot herself in this year, so I am trying not to take it all personally, but I am a bit afraid things are aren't going to be the same between us.

The photographer is coming Wednesday to take Emily's pictures, and we will do her birth announcements with them. She's been a really good baby. Of course shes still in that mode where shes sleeping all the time, but she hasn't been very fussy at all, and I just want to sit and cuddle with her all day and stare at her.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm SO impressed you felt up to writing all this out. What an amazing story-you're going to be so glad you took the time to write it all down while its fresh in your mind. I'm so happy everything went well even though it was a bit of a rough start. You look beautiful in all the pictures!