Saturday, February 2, 2008

My granny

If you would like to read her obiturary copy and past this: http://www.legacy.com/dailypress/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=102356488

It's a been some very long days for us. I spent Thursday mean as hell to everyone. The phone would not stop ringing and I tried to keep it off the hook as much as I could. At some point the Red Cross called and I yelled at a poor lady for bothering me. Dave told me that wasn't nice, to which I replied "That lady is probably rich and just volunteers all day" Dave didn't find it funny. I cried a lot, and I went around the house touching things that belonged to her. I have a lot of furniture that had been hers. I took a drive in my car as the Pontiac I have was hers. I was just a mess.

I was just caught off guard by all of this, and we have not had a lot of loss in our family, and deaths just screw me up pretty much, this coming from miss social worker and all.

Friday we had the viewing. She looked good. She was always so skinny, and she had lost a little more weight in the last few years. She had on the suit she wore to my wedding. When we went to say goodbye to her Wednesday she had on the nightgown I gave her for Christmas one year. So all of that made me sappy.

Apparently what had happend was for a few days she was refusing to eat and take her meds. She just kinda shut herself down. I just was so shocked as with my great granny who had it (her mom) she got the point where she stopped talking altogether and then even after that she lived for a couple of years. My granny was still talking, she didn't know us, but she still would talk to us, and would talk about her past some. But she just went so fast, and when we got there she was into the dying process. What a peaceful way to go though. She was in her bed propped up, sleeping, no IV's for pain or anything. Just so peaceful. She didn't have to go through weeks or days of pain, so for that I can be greatful.

I have been thinking about my memories with her. There are just so many. She would spend Christmas with us so she could see me wake up and get my presents. Her favorite color was purple. She would visit us often, and I would look forward to visiting her. She was always so proud of me, and always told me she loved me. I loved that she always kept candy for me when I came to visit, and she was always buying me something or slipping me some cash. She was a giver.

When we went to look at colleges she went with us. She was there when I graduated from highschool and college, and got to see my wedding. I feel silly for asking for her to be around to see more, cause frankly she got to be a part of my life for so long and see so much, but I guess we always want more, but she doesn't owe me a thing.

I bet she was happy though looking down on all of us. I bet shes glad it brought us altogether. It was really nice seeing my aunt and uncle, and I know granny would be happy we were all together for a few days.

I am going to miss her so much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Robyn, I'm sorry to hear about your Granny. She was a giver and she was sweet. I hope that your pain subsides, but your fond memories don't fade a bit so that you can tell the girls all about her when they grow up. Thinking about you..