Sunday, February 17, 2008

Pink shoe memories

I have had the silliest blogs lately, and apparently a lot of time on my hands this weekend. I have been very lazy and need to remove myself from the couch, but one last blog for tonight anyways. I was on Target's webite just looking around, and I came across this shoe and it brought back the saddest memory ever. I had a shoe much like this one when I was 7.

It was July and my parents had a talk with me earlier that summer about life and death, as apparently our family dog was very sick and would pass away eventually. His name was Ceasar and he was another black lab, and had been with my family before I was born. He adopted my family really. My parents had a Westie, and Ceasar began showing up at our house to play with him. He had a collar so they knew he was someones, and he was always wet as he was freaking swimming across this lake to get to my parents house from his owners house. My dad tracked down the owner who was a really nice widow with breast cancer, and got into the habbit of taking Ceasar home in the evenings for her so she wouldn't worry. Eventually, her prognosis got worse and Ceasar was still swimming over to be with my family and our other dog, so she asked us to keep him. He lived a long and spoiled life with us. He himself got Cancer and my parents were worried he would die before my birthday and were worried how it would effect me. He made it through about one week after my 7th bday. I knew it was going to happen soon as my dad was seriously building this coffin for him and had dug the massive hole in our backyard. I was over at a neighbors house that day playing with Adam Fink a little boy a few years younger then me. I was wearing these pink little shoes, and in his backyard I ened up losing one in some hedges as I was throwing them and for the life of us we could not find it. About that time my mom had called his house, and his mom sent me home with just one pink shoe. The shoe was never ever found. I remember walking home trying to keep in the grass to keep from burning my feet on the pavement, and when I got there they told me it was time and to say goodbye to Ceasar. It was really hard to say goodbye, and he was the first pet we had to die. My dad even had us all take pictures with him before he passed cause my dad just didn't know what else to do, but somewhere at my parents house is a picture of me with both dogs crying for a photo with one shoe. The vet actually came to our house and put him to sleep in my parents garage. I went inside when that occured, and I remember my dad coming inside to check on me and it was the first time I ever saw my dad cry. I still tear up thinking about it so I guess theres still a little bit of a animal lover in me. All of this from looking at a shoe.

No comments: