Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mary Braxton Hudgins

She was my granny. My momma's mom. Today she passed away. This is my granny with Alzhiemers, who had been staying at a special care unit for a few years. Apparently for a few days she had stopped eatting and was refusing to take her medications, but today it got worse. My mom and Dad went to be with her, and I left work and met them there. She was just laying in her room with her mouth open and taking shallow breaths, while sleeping. A hospice nurse had come and enrolled her in their program, but she didn't have to do much else as my granny was pretty comfortable and was very peaceful, so she left. We stayed for a while, and we were told it could be hours or it could be a day or so. We said our goodbyes to her, and my mom wanted me to drive her home. On our way home my aunt called to say she had passed and my aunt was with her when it happend. Everything is fine, and I know she is in a better place. I know she is with my grandfather once again who died when I was two. I know she is with my great grandparents that I was honored of knowing as well, and of course I know she is with my cousin, her grandchild. She's kinda been gone for quite a while now, but now she can totally be at rest.

She was such an awesome granny. She spoiled me and my cousin rotten, as well as my sisters. She got to do so much traveling with her lifelong best friend MaryJane. I envy the friendship they had. Friends since they were little, and friends in their old age.

I just can't believe shes really gone now, but I am glad she's free. I wish my kids had a chance to know her, but I guess all I can do now is tell them all stories about her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I know how you feel and even though you know that she's better off, that doesn't make things any easier. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Jenny said...

hey,
just checking in on you and read about your granny. i'm so sorry. i just lost my first grandparent last 2/10 so as the anniversary is coming up this weekend, your blog brings back many, many memories of what was taking place this time last year. it was my grandfather who passed away and i still miss him terribly. he had a heart attack and died 10 days later after basically being in a comotose state all that time. he was just shy of 85.
you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, jenny