Sunday, January 16, 2011

Birthday party planning.....

Birthday parties. It's on my brain right now. My husband and two older girls have birthdays really soon. My husband has a birthday in another week, and I am planning on having some of the family over. I always try to have a meal when we have a party, sometimes I slack off and order pizza, and sometimes I try to do a meal myself. I plan on having a taco bar, as he's a big fan of mexican, and let's be honest, it's easy to pull off, and not very costly.

I am semi freaking out though, trying to see what we should do for the girls birthdays. Ok I totally lied, I AM FREAKING OUT. I have pretty much just done family parties for them so far, with a friend or two invited, but I would like to have a party for them with their school friends.

Here's my issue. My girls are a year apart in age, and they both have birthdays in February. I have never combined their birthday parties before, as I feel that birthdays are special days, especially when you are little. Though I dress them up alike a lot, they are not twins. However, let's add in another issue. On my side of the family I also have a nephew with a Feb. birthday, so that means my family spends three weekends in a row at birthdays. I personally find it fun as I get to spend time with family, but it does take up an evening or afternoon. That usually means some people miss out on a party or two, and it's usually Rachel's party that people pass on, as it's the last one.

So.... I do a joint kid one and family one? Honestly, if I were to have a kids party at the house it wouldn't be hard to keep the kid parties separate, but if we go to a jumping place it get's expensive, so I would combine them. Also, do I just combine the family party for both? This is the crap that stresses me. Not big world problems. Give me your thoughts people!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

How do you feel about doing the Princess Party for one and the Jumping Party for the other? Then next year, alternate who had the party at the venue and who had the themed party at home? OR could you do the Jumping Party for both with their friends and one family party at home for both? My sister and I both have January birthdays and our family celebration was always shared (it still is), and I didn't mind. But we both had our own "party" with our friends (we're 5 years apart so we didn't have the same friends). I'm sure you'll make the right choice...just the fact that you're worried about making it special pretty much guarantees that it will be special :)

Jenny said...

With J&C having birthdates just 3 weeks apart, I have done both-I decided from age 5 on I'll keep them separate.

Carrie Ann said...

I completely feel your pain! LOL
I've started a new blog all about planning little girls birthday parties. Feel free to stop by for some inspiration.

Lisa said...

I have no advice but I feel your pain. I know my family really has no desire to come to the kids party so we have had to do both. But now I've got two girls with a week in between their parties and that means 4 parties??? I think my family will have to suck it up and come to the community centre. How's the party planning coming along?