Sunday, March 30, 2008

Saving the planet

So yesterday I briefly read that it was Earth's Hour day or something, which meant around the world people were turning their lights off for one hour to conserve energy. In the USA you were supposed to do this between 8pm and 9pm. Because I am a huge dork, and because I have failed on most other missions to save the planet, I wanted to do this. Some of my other missions included my promise to bring my own bags to the grocery store. I did this like once, and then sorta forgot about bringing my totes, yes I am a horrible plastic bag user. I try to recycle as we have the bins from the city, but sometimes I catch myself throwing something away because I am too lazy to walk outside to the bin.

SO after explaining to my husband that we were turning the lights out for an hour at 8pm-9pm while trying to keep a straight face, he explained to me that the TV was going to stay on as he wanted to watch Scarface. So we kinda sorta conserved energy I guess.

What we were supposed to do was turn off the lights and TV, light candles, and explain to our chilren what we were doing and why were doing it, and then hold hands and sing songs I guess. But the total picture did not occur, so maybe I just need to make a better effort of taking my totes to the grocery store.

No comments: