Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I am such a running poser....



Today during lunch break at work I googled how to train for a 8k.  Though I have successfully mastered running a 5k without dying, I am still by no means a runner. Even though an 8k isn't much further then a 5k I am going to have to prepare for it if I want to be able to do it.  Imagine my surprise when the first suggestion that pops up suggests trying to run a total of 15-25miles total a week.  I about choked on my diet coke.  A 8k equals about 5 miles, so if I were to run just three days a week I would need to run 5 miles each time.  That's not happening right now.  I know I need to build up slowly, but I am going to research some different training programs.  I first need to buy some some new running shoes, I am still rocking my old Reebok Easy Tones or a pair of Nikes that are not really ideal for running.  I plan on attempting my first run Friday some time at the gym.  Tomorrow night I am going to do a kick boxing class to shake things up a bit before starting this adventure.  The 8k isn't until April so I have plenty of time to get ready or die trying.  I am sad to say goodbye to my favorite cardio machine at the gym though while I attempt this, I hate treadmills.

I finished the first book of the Hunger Games series Tuesday night.  OMG, so good!  I started reading the next one Catching Fire, and I am already sucked in...
  Photobucket

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Check out Hal Higdon. He's got super reasonable running plans and he also has levels, too.