Monday, January 23, 2012

French Toast adventures....


There is a small locally owned resterant next door to the gym that Dave and I go called Papaou George's. It's kind of tourturing to walk in and out of the gym and smell the amazing food coming from the place. They are only open for breakfast and lunch, but truth be told we have never been there for lunch.  The breakfast is amazing though, and very reasonably priced (cheap works).  We don't go out for breakfast much, but when we do we usually end up there.  I also tell myself that supporting a small business at the same time is multi tasking.  Food for my belly and good deeds for our local area.  The owner is also super nice and gives the best service.  One of my favorite things to order when we go is the French Toast breakfast special. It's soooo good.  Some french toast with a side of bacon and scrambled eggs just hits the spot.

I have made baked french toast on many occasions.  The kind that you prep the night before and then bake in a dish in the morning in the oven.  I had been wanting to try to make it the traditional way in a skillet, but just hadn't gotten around to it.  I make pancakes and waffles all of the time, so it was time to venture out and try something new for me.  I saw a link this morning on a cook books fan page this morning, and figured I needed to try this morning.  I did end up using half and half instead of milk because I had just used up the last of our milk, and I added a dash of cinnamon.  The husband gave a me two thumbs up for this one, and I found it so easy to make.  If you would like to try it out go HERE  Maybe I shouldn't have done such a good job though, so we can still go to Papaou Georges.... 
Photobucket

1 comment:

Jenny said...

That spelling / name tells me he's greek! We called my grandaddy "Papaou" :) Makes me wanna try that place out!