Friday, May 1, 2009

Show us where you live Friday...



**edit- you have to click on the pics to see the entire picture because I guess my pics are too big for my layout!

Kelly's Corner ( http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/ ) is hosting Show us where you Live Friday, and this friday is focusing on the kitchen. So welcome to my kitchen. It's been under a lot lately. We started building our house in 2003, and moved in 2004 in July. We had just gotten married, we were young, and this was our first home building experience. We picked the plans, appliances, etc, and we didn't have a flipping clue what the heck we were doing. We just wanted the house done and we wanted to live in it asap. Of course we had the builder from hell, so it took forever and a day to get in. One thing I would like to go back to change is to make our kitchen bigger as it is small. Really small. Recently the husband added a slate backsplash, changes the knobs from brass to brushed nickel, painted it red, and added plantation shutters. I am happy with the changes but would love to bust down the back of the house and expand it lol. Maybe one day....

view1

Our kitchen is connected to the den. See I told you it was small. The red is darker in real life. I like how our cabinets do not go to the ceiling. When I picked that out I planned to put some stuff on top of them for decoration. I never have put anything up there lol. I need to figure out what to put on top. I have a longaberger rodiron shelf thing that I keep cook books on, and our house phone.


view2

This is a close up of the stove/microwave area. You can see the husbands backsplash job with the slate. I think he did great with it. I got the idea for the slate backsplash from Frugal Jen's blog. I have wanted a back splash for a while, and I never thought to use slate.


view3

This is the breakfast nook. You can see three of the 4 shutters we had put on the windows. If you can't tell I am very proud of my shutters. Usually I have this lime green table cloth on our table but I put this lace one on playing around. I love table cloths. The green one and this lace one I THINK belonged to my granny. Either her or my great grandmother.


view4

This is the view of the sink and dishwasher area and you can see how it connects to the den. You can tell I am a mom of little one's by looking at my fridge covered with coupons, pictures, and craft items from preschool. On the wall next to the sink area I have a rod iron southern living at home hook thingy where we keep our keys, and sunglasses. The Oyster sign is one of the first things I hung in the house when we moved it, and it was an advertisment for my great grandfather's oyster seafood packing company that he was the owner of. I will always hang it in the house as long as we live here. He's the reason we have the house in the first place, so I hang it in his honor, and as a reminder of my heritage.

Well that's my kitchen. I would show use the inside of my fridge but I would have to clean it out first!

Photobucket

13 comments:

Watts Family said...

Very nice kitchen. Love the red! I have it in my kitchen as well. Your fridge looks like mine also....kids stuff everywhere! Have a great weekend.

Many Blessings,

Amanda

Anna said...

Thanks for the tour...

LuAnn said...

I have a kitcfhen lots of red too. Very cute.

Jenny said...

I love your house and what a special keepsake to have that sign!

Unknown said...

I love your kitchen! Especially the oyster sign! We are all about family heritage!

I'm glad I'm not the only one's whose frig looks like that!

Heather said...

Thanks for showing us your kitchen!! Love it, so pretty!!

Katie said...

The shutters look great. They make things look more...I don't know, something nice.

Laura said...

Some Pampered Chef would look great in that kitchen! :)

Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing - I think your kitchen is really pretty. Love the red!

Michelle T said...

I really love the red wall color, it looks great! The slate backsplash is very pretty.

Martha said...

Great kitchen.. :)
Martha

Loukia said...

Lovely kitchen - I especially love the wall colour!

Marie said...

Years ago my mom gave me her mom's teapot because I had a tea drinking neighbor (and I loved it from childhood). Got a couple from my sister and that was the beginning of my collection. That is what I display on the top of my cabinets which are about the same as yours. I cut down 2x4's to a short length and put two under each teapot so that you could see the whole pot over the moldings on top. I have about 16 or so now and that's the thing I look for when I get to a thrift store/vintage shop/antiques. Some of them are worth money, some of them are just cute. But I do love my teapots up there and I hardly ever have to dust them!! lol

This is my first time to your site. I came over to look at your kitchen which is lovely by the way.

Hugs,
Marie