Friday, May 22, 2009

Show Us Where you Live- Dining Room

So this week the theme is dining room... My dining room is the first room on the right when you walk in the front door.
dine6

My husband did the paneling and painted this room. The only new item in this room is the big china cabinet. My parents got that for us after we moved into this house. It holds our wedding china, and crystal. We do use the china from time to time, but I don't know if we will ever use the cyrstal... Just one of those things you register for before you are supposed to I guess?

The wood highchair is very old and I don't know the history behind it but I sat in it as a child, my cousin did, my mom and aunt did, and god only knows who else. It was in my granny's attic, and I made sure that sucker went home with me long before we had kids. The mini rocker in other corner was given to me a few months ago by my grandparents. That also is very old like over 100 years old, and it is kinda odd in this room, but I don't know where else to put it, so for now it sits... Our dining room table was my moms, and the chairs were my great grand mothers.
I had them recovered before we moved in.
dine5

I love the detail on the chairs. The fabric I picked out was the inspiration for the room. It has lots of orange, reds, and yellows. I love paisly print as well.

dine3

Close up of cabinet with wedding crystal and china.

Photobucket

This corner cabinet was my grannys as well. When I open it I can still smell her house. Inside this cabinet we now have my husbands grandparens cyrstal collection. and a few odds and ends. Again, I am sure we will never use it, but it's really pretty and means a lot. My ruff-a-muggin child Rachel can also be seen in this picture. I also have some crap stored of top of the cabinet that I need to put away.

Photobucket
Inside of corner cabinet


dine1
Just another view. I hate our light fixture. When we were building I picked all of them out at Lowe's to save money and still get what I want. I couldn't find anything worth a crap for the dining room, and I ended up buying this generic brass thing twice and returning it, and finally I decieded to suck it up and change it later. I still have not changed it, as I have not even looked around anymore. Any ideas please send pics my way!
Thanks for stoping by!






Photobucket

13 comments:

Alphabet Soup Momma said...

The paneling is BEAUTIFUL! Great room. Love the color!

tiarastantrums said...

great collection of crystal in a pretty dining room

Embellished Bayou said...

Beautiful room with some great history! If you hate the chandelier, you can always spray paint it a different finish like antique bronze - trust me it works!

Heather said...

I love your dining room!! It's so pretty and I love the China and the color on your walls!!

AverettLadyNana said...

The highchair was Dee's--great-grandmother's, they Granny's-grandmother, then HB cousin raised by his g-aunt who was Dee's mother...then me, Bert, Larry & Ricky(HB's two boys) you, Brandon, Laura, Rachel and next Emily.

lagirl said...

I love furniture with a history. What a rich heritage you have in your dining room.

Tara G. said...

Your crystal totally sparkles! We're in a rental in which I can't keep up with the dust and I have to wipe my things off before we use them- grr.

jaime said...

Your dining room is beautiful!

We have a chandelier very similar to that in our dining room and I, too, hate it. I still haven't found a fixture that I like, but am leaning towards a fixture that hugs the ceiling rather than hangs. We'll see I guess.

Andrea - Momfessionals said...

So pretty! Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

What's your china pattern? I think we have the same one.

And I say spray paint that bad boy until till you get around to finding one! My SIL just did a brass table base & it looks great.

Michelle said...

Your dining room is lovely - thanks for sharing !

BTW: Love your blog name...it is sooo true !

Single Mom said...

Love all the history in this room!

Pam Bowers said...

Your crystal is gorgeous. I say use it. Love the china cabinets.