Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Emily's Education...


This morning I was looking through my kids preschool handbook, and I realized that next year Emily will actually be old enough to go to preschool.. .OMG… Their rule is they have to be 2 before September 30th, and well Emily will be 2 on the 17th sooo it’s possible for her….This upsets me for a few reasons… Reason one, OMG seriously? My baby in preschool already? Reason two, will she really be ready for that? My others were 2.5 and that .5 really is helpful …Reason three, I would have three kids in preschool at the same time attempting to keep up with their schedules, and face it, the school isn’t free so I guess I will be eating Ramen a lot and shopping budget will be non-existent... Holy Moly. (You hear that kids, your momma loves you so much she’s going to starve herself to send you to school, remember that when one day your taking care of me.) In all seriousness, it’s very affordable, but three does add up to a decent chunk. Guess who wont be getting a new car any time soon?
I would only put her in the 1 day program, and I probably wouldn’t even commit to it until I was sure she would be old enough to handle it… The one a day a week program doesn’t fill up that fast, so no pressure to make this decision by this winter when they start registering… I can put it off and feel her out… But my god, she just started walking, and now I have to think about her education so soon… eeeek.
So anyone else out there have any suggestions for early birthday kids? Should I wait and enroll her when she’s three, or should I just bite the bullet and go for it? It is only preschool, and it’s more about learning to play with other, etc… I could always hold her back when it’s time for Kindergarten.
This has me stressed to no end. They grow so fast!

Photobucket

5 comments:

The Family said...

Avery started preschool the week after she turned 2 and she has done great. Granted she has to go somewhere because we don't have anyone to watch her but she is learning so much! I definitely wouldn't fret about Emily starting right at 2. She will do great!

Jenny said...

I think girls in general can totally handle it...boys maybe not. Of course, I'm looking at it more from the Kindergarten point of view b/c of what I saw in the classroom. If she struggles w/ separation anxiety at all, maybe it would be good for her to be with other people for one day a week next year. At least you still have time to think about it!!

Cher said...

You'll figure out what works best for Emily. It's hard with having that middle of the road birthday and the September 30th deadline for schools. Brendan went to kindergarten at 4 yrs (almost 5) and did alright. Preschool really helped as well. So give it some time and again, you'll make the right decision for all of you. I just can't believe at how fast the girls are growing!It seemed like it was just yesterday when you two welcomed Laura!

Whitney (for the rest of the Shouses) said...

This is just OPINION so take it with a grain of salt. :) I think the 1 day a week preschool would be good for her next year; it's not going to hurt her at all. At the same time, if it's going to hurt financially, she is ONLY 2, and not even at the beginning. As far as starting school early, I was a September baby (10th) and I HATED being the youngest, by far, of all of my friends. Just to put my 2, or 10 cents, in...ignore it if you want. :)

Unknown said...

My baby just turned 3! If you did the 1 day thing, just think free-time!