Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Red Velvet Cake

Every year at Christmas my mom makes an amazing 6 layer red velvet cake with the best cream cheese icing.  For my kiddos ornament party I wanted to make it.  I am a nervous nelly in the kitchen whenever I make something I have never done before.  I wish I could be one of those relaxed types, that's just not me.  I was like a warrior in the kitchen begging, praying, and freaking out.  All in all it wasn't hard, just time consuming.  I was nervous when I had to ice it, as my mom told me she sometimes puts raw spagetti noodle down in the layers to keep it from slipping, and then pulls them out.  I just knew though if I tried this I would have spagetti noodles stuck in the cake, so I skipped this part and just took my time.    I was so busy with party prepping and during the party I didn't get a change to take a picture of the finished product, but here is a picture of a slice that I had at work the next day.
It's a rich cake, but it's wonderful!  My husband high fived me, and my oldest who is already planning her next bday party, has asked that I make the cake for her birthday lol. 
My mom got the receipe from a Southern Living magazing many years ago, but from time to time they reprint it again in the newer issues, and has been in some of their cookbooks.
So here it is if you want to make it!
Red Velvet





1 comment:

AverettLadyNana said...

Probably long bamboo skewers would work better. I didn't use anything this year either. And I have had the spaghetti noodles break off and have to fish them out when I slice it...LOL...