Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Making bread....

My parents gave me a beautiful new Kitchen Aide Mixer for Christmas, and today while home with my sick family I figured I would test it out.  I went with a receipe from the manual that came with it for an Herb Pull Apart Bread.  I figured if I survived Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon buns, then I could now try another bread.  My mixer did a fantastic job mixing the dough, and remarkably once again I had good luck with the dough doubling like it should.  The recipe called for cutting the dough into strips and then putting the strips in muffin tins, but I thought it would be easier to make three balls and put the balls in the muffin pan .  I was patient and let them rise again once I did that, and then into the oven they went.  They turned out really yummy, and baking bread is pretty amazing smell to fill the house. 
If you want to attempt this one as well you will need:
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup melted butter
3- 3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4  tsp thyme
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 dill

Dissolve yeast in warm water in mixing bowl.  Add butter, 2 cups of flour, sugar, salt, and other spices. Using dough hook in mixer mix for one minute until blended.  Add remaining flour, and mix until the dough starts to clean sides of bowl, and until dough is smooth and elastic.
Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with towel, and leave it alone for one hour.  After an hour it should have risen, punch it down.  I then rolled out the dough into a medium disk about 1/2 inch thick, and divided it into six pieces. I then took each piece and pulled from it 6 pieces of dough that I made into balls, and put three into the muffin pan.  I let that sit for 45 minutes or  so  to rise some again.  Then I baked the bread in the over on 400, for about 20 minutes.  So yummy!!

Photobucket

No comments: