Saturday, October 1, 2011

Yummy Apple Cake....




This morning I went to the gym after getting all the girls to school, I ran a 5k on the treadmill.  I was actually able to get the stupid thing to turn on this time.... Anyways, after my workout, I came home and baked something, because it all evens out that way right???? I ended up making Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce.  This is from the cookbook Lone Star to Five Star, The Junior League of Plano Texas, which I have to say, looks like an incredible cookbook and I am eager to make many more things from here soon!  I was eager to make something with apples as I had found a great deal on apples this week.
It was a hit with everyone.  The kids loved it, the husband was excited, and my parents gave it two thumbs up too.  It was easy to make as well which makes me happy.
Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce
Cake:
3 eggs
1/2 cup veg oil
1/2 cup applesauce
2 cups of flour
2 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of salt
4 cups of chopped apples

Combine the eggs, oil, and applesauce in a mixing bowl and beat lightly.  Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and mix well.  Fold in the apples.  Spoon in a greased 9x13 inch cake pan, and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or until the cake is done.

To prepare the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan, add the sugars, flour, cream, and vanilla and mix well, bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.  Serve warm over the cake.  You can also reserve the sauce and reheat it if your serving it later.


Side note: This smells amazing cooking! 
If you want to purchase this cookbook for 40% off see the ad on my sidebar and enter the code NAP40 at checkout!!!

Photobucket

No comments: