Thursday, December 30, 2010

Fun Times with chicken....

As the grocery shopper person for my household I know that buying a whole chicken is MUCH cheaper then buying the pieces.... I just never did it... Honestly I would just buy frozen breasts from Costco, or snag up a bunch of marked down cut up chicken from the grocery store. I ventured out of my comfort zone and bought two whole chickens from Costco a few weeks ago, and just stuffed them in my freezer.

I found a receipe yesterday that I really wanted to try, using a whole chicken, but it needed to be cut up. Truth be told, in Home Ec class in highschool I had to cut one up, but I had a partner, and a teacher giving step by step instructions...

Yesterday I googled a "how to", but I wasn't getting it...So I called over my mom and made her explain, but made sure I was the one that had to do it all. Ok so I made her take out the "stuff" from the cavity... But I did it, and it was a pain in the chicken's you know what. Honestly I wont be making a habit of always getting a whole chicken...as I just don't always have time for all of that. But I have to admit, Dave and I both thought the chicken tasted a lot better...

So anyways, I made this tonight with my cut up chicken.
1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup prepared mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon curry powder
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Place chicken pieces in a shallow baking pan, skin side up. Combine the melted butter or margarine, honey, mustard, salt and curry powder and pour the mixture over the chicken. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/4 hours (75 minutes), basting every 15 minutes with pan drippings, until the chicken is nicely browned and tender and the juices run clear.

I served it with brown rice and corn. It was a big hit! I did double the curry though, as I love some curry! I also removed most of the skin. Besides the whole cutting up the chicken part, it was really simple, and I am sure you could make this with just several chicken breasts if you don't feel like hacking up a whole chicken...

Photobucket

No comments: