Thursday, April 15, 2010

This and that

So, after my husband got me all excited about my craft room, nothing has been done… however, I’m cool with that as he has been busy with some other projects. He is currently in process of painting our kitchen chairs and table black. I have been wanting that done now for a very long time. He also finally made my own cornhole boards…Last year a friends sold us some, and soon after Dave was able to figure out how to make them. He was so busy making them for other people that the boards I wanted fell on the back burner…. My boards are so stinking cute! I will take a picture to post on here! To give you a hint, the bags that I made to match the board are hot pink and green.

I have been sticking with the fit train pretty good over the last week, I have had a few slip ups here and there, but I love food to much to give the good stuff up. Tonight is going to be a cheat night as well, and we have some steaks marinating to grill, and I am going to make the Pioneer Woman Cooks Potato skins! Can’t wait!

PW’s Potato Skins
Taken from The Pioneer Woman Cooks
8 slices of bacon (the soy variety works too)
8 russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
canola oil
kosher salt
1 1/2 C. grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 C. sour cream
4 green onions, sliced
Preheat the oven to 400 F (I actually increased my oven to 450 as the skins weren’t crisping up).
Rub the outside of the scrubbed potatoes with canola oil. Place on foil lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until the potatoes are fork tender. Let potatoes cool so they are easy to handle.* Slice in half lengthwise.
With a spoon or small scoop, scrape out the inner flesh of the potatoes, leaving a small margin of potato in the skins.* Brush both sides of the potato skins with canola oil and salt liberally. Place the skins cut side down on the pan and return to the oven. Bake for 7 minutes and then flip the skins over to the other side. Bake for 7 minutes more or until the skins are crispy (mine too nearly 30 minutes, thus I raised the temperature).
Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a skillet and chop into small bits. Set aside. Grate the cheese if you haven’t already.
When the skins are crisp, remove them from the oven and sprinkle each with cheese and bacon pieces. Return to the oven just until the cheese melts (2 minutes). Just before serving, spoon sour cream onto each skin and sprinkle with sliced green onion. Serve piping hot.


Photobucket

No comments: